This new solution aims to help customers to more efficiently manage, operate, scale and protect their IoT projects from the edge to the cloud
VMware, Inc. introduces VMware Pulse IoT Center, a secure, enterprise grade Internet of Things (IoT) infrastructure management solution, which will help IT and OT teams to have total control of their IoT infrastructure and things. The first solution in a new family of VMware IoT offerings, VMware Pulse™ IoT Center™ will enable customers to more efficiently manage, operate, scale and protect their IoT projects from the edge to the cloud.
As per Gartner, through 2020, 90% of IoT projects will use some form of IoT gateway. In addition, the global installed base of IoT endpoints is expected to grow from 12.1 billion at the end of 2015 to more than 30 billion in 2020, according to IDC. As more and more organizations embrace IoT, they need a simplified approach to manage, monitor and secure their infrastructure and data.
“As enterprises look to transform into digital businesses, this creates an opportunity for IT and OT teams to collaborate as they embrace IoT to improve operations within their business, while generating new forms of revenue,” said Mimi Spier, vice president, IoT, VMware. “We’re leveraging our expertise and proven success in the enterprise and applying it to IoT infrastructure and across all ‘things.’ VMware Pulse IoT Center will provide IT and OT teams visibility and control across their IoT use cases, while offering peace of mind with security capabilities throughout the IoT value chain.”
Building New IoT Solution Based on Proven Enterprise Products
As customers move from Proof of Concept to production, they encounter major challenges while investing in IoT. Customers usually are looking for a simpler way to track, visualize, monitor and secure hundreds of thousands of different types of edge systems and connected devices across their IoT use cases. VMware Pulse IoT Center will simplify the complexity of managing customers’ IoT infrastructure and their diverse types of things as easily as one. It will enhance the reliability of infrastructure by providing accurate and real-time visibility of ‘thing’ health to enable customers to proactively address anomalies before they flare up. VMware Pulse IoT Center will help accelerate ROI by streamlining how IoT projects gets deployed and scaled. Additionally, it will enable security across things, edge, network and applications to further protect IoT infrastructure and data access.
This new solution, mainly emphasizing on enterprise IoT, leverages current, proven technologies from both VMware AirWatch® for device management and VMware vRealize® Operations™ for infrastructure monitoring and troubleshooting. It has been designed to cater to the specific, complex needs of IoT for both IT and OT teams, while supporting a broad range of edge systems and their connected devices. VMware Pulse IoT Center, which will be available as both a simple to deploy on-prem solution and as a service offering, is currently in private beta with customers across automotive, entertainment, retail banking, health care and manufacturing industries.
VMware Pulse IoT Center will help customers to:
Manage Broader: Simplify the complexities of managing connected ‘things’, including:
- Easily on-board, manage, monitor and secure diverse IoT edge systems, connected devices and applications from a single console
- Interoperate between heterogeneous edge systems and connected devices with different hardware, operating systems and communication protocols
- Define and track what, where and when things are updated over the air (OTA) or changed – with a sophisticated and flexible rules engine
Operate Smarter: Access to accurate and real-time visibility of ‘thing’ health and ability to act on anomalies before they flare up, including:
- Real-time infrastructure analytics and real-time monitoring
- Ability to visualize all edge systems, connected devices and their relationships (i.e., status, location, dependencies) IoT use case grouping
- Defining KPIs / measures, alerts, and actions
Protect Better: Secure IoT infrastructure across things, edge, network and applications, including the ability to:
- Minimize data exposed by creating a tunnel from data point to application by using VMware NSX as an add-on
- Enterprise wipe of data from devices at any time if they are exposed to security threats
- Maintain up-to-date firmware and security patches and upgrade software OTA via an integrated policy engine
Innovate Faster: Streamline and accelerate how IoT gets deployed and scaled to:
- Simplify the deployment of an IoT use case with one management tool for all devices
- Speed time to value with a simple way to onboard devices and update them over time
- Dynamically deliver the right information to the right thing at the right time – from edge to cloud with software lifecycle management